Tuesday 5 April 2016

003. | P A C K A G I N G.

Now that all of the products are finalised and ready to launch, the next issue is what will they be sent out in, how should customers receive their products and how much money should I put into it? I personally think that packaging is all apart of the experience of the brand, if something is wrapped well and is noticeably considered then I believe that it contributes to the product too. 

Packaging is probably one of the key areas in which money is 'wasted' so being savvy and taking your time to shop around is key. I found an endless amount of printers that would create custom printed boxes, each one featuring anything from my logo to my website and all over artwork but they came at a hefty price. Boxes aren't the only thing to consider, there is tissue paper, bubble wrap, business cards and leaflets advertising your brand further - all of which add to the packaging costs.

Buy in bulk? Personally I've avoided this as such, I've bought in batches of 25, 50 or 100 boxes at a time and yes I could possibly save money in the long run by buying larger quantities but for me Darwin & Gray has never had certainty so far and each order is taken as a complete surprise so buying enough to see me through a month or two has been satisfactory.

I mostly use Ebay or Amazon for my boxes.....
Being a handmade endorsing brand means that I can get away with imperfectly printed packaging. Using stamps that I have had made by The English Stamp Company, a UK based stamp supplier I am able to print each and every one of my boxes by hand. In all honesty, I'm a bit of a sucker for mundane, tedious tasks so popping a TV show on my laptop or some music on for an hour whilst I print isn't as long winded as it sounds. 

Time Consuming? Yes.
A hell of a lot cheaper? Yes.
Incredibly Satisfying? Yes.

T H E  O U T C O M E.
A variety of box sizes for a range of different products all printed with identical exteriors, I put aside an hour every week to stock my ready made boxes up to ease the dispatching process.
SHARE:
© Master Of Design. All rights reserved.
MINIMALIST BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig